Altered Art Featurette - So Suzy Stamps


Hi everyone! Monica here from Taylormadecards4u and I am super excited to be hosting an Altered Art Featurette this month. What I love about crafting and creativity is that you are always building on it.

Art is progression, and that is how I approach altered Art. There are so many different types of altered art as well as techniques. I hope to show you a few on this journey. 

This week I am working with a flat canvas. I will show you some layering techniques that I use often with cards and is easily transitioned into Art Canvases.



I started with a flat white canvas board and covered it with Tim Holtz Tissue paper using Mod Podge. The tissue paper had some great background images and worked well as a starting point for my canvas. 

 When I create my canvases, I like to have balance, so you will typically see similar embellishments on opposite sides.

I added washi tape to the top left and bottom right corners. You will want to lay all your flat embellishments first before you start adding your texture paste.


Most altered art pieces have texture. This can be accomplished by using textured paste. The stencils I chose to use were Harlequin and Burlap.  Once the texture paste was dry I added some color using distress paint and stazOn Ink.



While I love preparing the canvas, I always look forward to the decorating part of it. I don't typically have a plan set out in my mind how it will come together, it truly is a gut feeling and when I have the finally layout, I truly feel it from within.


Ephemera works great with layering. It is just finding the right pieces that work together. I knew my overall theme would be a Fortune Teller them, so I made sure my ephemera worked with that overall theme in mind. 


I also wanted to add some metal, so i punched out this flower using a sheet metal ATC. I added color using my alcohol inks. 


It took me a few tries to get the layout exactly how I wanted, it, but when I had it, I knew it!

Be sure to come by next week where I will share with you another mixed media technique.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Challeng Winners - February & March 2023

   Hello everyone. As you may have noticed, I have been MIA for the last couple of months. Life has been very busy and it has been difficult...